A question about the simulation setup in a paper

Sorry that the question is not directly connected to Vienna but to link level simulation. Has someone tried to reproduce the simulation results in fig. 14 in the paper “An overview of channel coding for 5G NR cellular communications”. I’m not sure about the simulation setup described in the sentence “The simulated information size was between 70 and 80 which is the range of typical downlink control information size (plus 24-bit CRC) transmitted via PDCCH in 5G standards”. My question is, do the 70 to 80 bits include the 24 bit CRC?

Hello,

It is difficult to be 100% sure. You better ask the authors.
In Fig. 10, they use K to refer to the information bits alone. So maybe that is it.

Best,
Bashar

Thank you. You are very careful. I agree with you if they used the notation in the specification then the CRC is included in the number. I sent an email to the author before I asked here, and there is no reply.

And one more question. Did you read 3GPP R1-1708832? In fig 3, how could the saved computation of the blue arrowed line be so high? It is as high as about 70% which is only possible if almost all early termination happens at the first CRC bit. Do you think the results reasonable?

Sorry, I was not careful enough. It can not be infered that almost all terminations occur at the first CRC bit. If it stops at the first CRC bit the saving is 76%, and the second CRC bit 58%, and so on. But I still doubt the number of total saving.

I am not sure about the simulation setup there, but if it is low SNR, then you will have lots of failed transmissions, which I guess can be then detected early on with a distributed CRC.

The SNR range of 1~4dB covers high to low BLER.

OK, forget it. I agree the setup is not clear in the report. Thanks for your intuitive discussion.

You are welcome.