NOMA -- more than 2 users in a cluster inside 5G SLS simulation?

Hello,

I would like to get feedback about any “success stories” or “recommendations” regarding the multiple-users per NOMA cluster in the 5G SLS.

I know that MUST is implemented with 2 users for single NOMA cluster in downlink.

But is it possible to extend it eassily based on the current implementation of the SIC?

Any hints/suggestions more than welcome!

Best,
Adam

Hello Adam,

there are no success stories yet; the following things would need to be adapted:

• The SIC implementation in +linkQualityModel.LinkQualityModel.successiveInterferenceCancellation would need to be adapted to perform several iterations of interference cancellation for the additional users.

• The users need to be grouped for NOMA transmission. This now happens in setNomaUserPairing in the superclass for cell management.

• The scheduler signaling needs to be set for NOMA transmission with multiple users; this happens in the +scheduler package. The power share factor for the NOMA users grouped for transmission also needs to be set there.

I would expect that it takes quite some effort to extend the NOMA transmission to multiple users, especially since a user grouping and power allocation scheme needs to be found and implemented.

Best,
Agnes

Hello Agnes,
Thank you very much for your assessment and the response. I appreciate your clear technical guidance on the steps to consider.
I am also glad to see that my current understanding of the mechanics of the NOMA implementation is correct. Would just need to yet check the “scheduler signalling” role in there (assume it is sth different than the scheduler itself).
So if I am not wrong, your response may also mean that such functionality is not at the moment on the roadmap of the TUVienna for the enhancements of the NOMA part in there - am I correct?
I may be returning to you with some more implementation related questions in regards of the multi-user cluster of NOMA as they appear.
Best
Adam

Hello Adam,
yes, you are correct, the extension to more users for NOMA transmission is not on the roadmap for the development of the system level simulator.

The scheduler signaling is the scheduling information that is handed over from the scheduler to the other parts of the simulator in form of the user signaling and the rbGrid at the antennas. You can find it from the scheduler side in the +scheduler.signaling package and the +scheduler.rbGrid class. It is handed over to the users and antennas and saved there as networkElements.ue.User.scheduling and networkElements.bs.Antenna.rbGrid.
The information that a NOMA transmission with more users is taking place needs to be saved, passed on, and then read from the scheduler signaling.

Best,
Agnes